Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tear-jerkers: this week's obsessions

I realize I haven't done a list of weekly obsessions in a while so this list goes back a bit. There have been so many really touching things on the big and small screens lately, ranging from the historic (my #1) to the artistic (the Oscar movies) to the randomly lovely (my #2). So this edition of obsessions is all about things that have made me cry but I love them all the more for it. 

The Inauguration
The thing that gets me the most is the reaction, so the moments that made me cry the most were reaction shots of the crowd and the great swell of cheers when he walked into the neighbourhood ball. And, yes I'll admit it, I cried during the Obamas' first dance, when Beyonce started to cry. 

Desperate Housewives 100th Episode
It may seem ridiculous, but I cried harder in this episode than I cried for a TV show in a really long time. Eli Scruggs'll do that to a person. (So will the tour de force performances by Marcia Cross and Eva Longoria Parker). 

Marley and Me
Seriously, if you've ever had a dog this movie will throw you around like nothing else. There were parts when I was laughing so hard that I started to cry, and then, a couple hours later, I was crying the hardest I've cried all season. I'm telling you, Marley hit a soft spot. 

The Wrestler
I've never seen a film full of so much honesty in my life. That scene with his daughter... and the dancing... how could I not cry?

No comments: