Saturday, January 31, 2009

Frak Yeah!


With a show that gives you as much emotional toil as Battlestar Galactica, that is the type of generation spanning epic space-and-morality drama that BSG is, it's occasionally hard to remember why you loved the show in the first place. BSG has had its fair share of boring episodes, and the first two episodes back of Season 4.5 have been no exceptions. Despite some supposedly "big" revelations and a mutiny brewing underneath the surface, the first two outings for Adama and Co had been remarkably... blah.

NOT SO FOR LAST NIGHT'S ACTION PACKED FORTY FIVE MINUTES. Last night's Battlestar was everything I've ever loved about the show and more. Starbuck was badass. Lee was daring and idealistic. Adama and Tigh were old war buddies struggling to do the right thing. Everyone from Helo to Athena to mother-frakking Baltar was at their show's best. On top of which, this week we finally had a plot worthy of the hype awarded to BSG.

But let's be honest, here. President Roslin is, has been, and always will be the best part about this show. Come for the sci-fi goodness and complicated political allegory, but stay for the way that Mary McDonnell has managed to make Laura Roslin the most complicated, brilliant, broken woman in the history of the whole universe (be they cylon or human).

This is the first episode I've watched thus far this season that has left me breathless for the next outing. The idea of waiting a whole week before I find out what happens to Adama and Tigh (and don't think for one second BSG'ers that I believe next week's teaser of "Colonel Tigh is dead" was anything other than a marketing trick), Roslin and Baltar, Lee and Kara, even (dare I say) that traitorous, wormy, one-legged bastard, Gaeta.

Here are a few episode highlights:

*The awesome incongruity of Roslin and Adama making out, and the visual joke of Lee and Kara staring away looking awkward, like any kid would when their dad starts macking it with his all time lady love.

*The return to funny Baltar ("I truly don't want to desert you..." while looking shiftily away towards his salvation) mixed with the legitimate arch that this character has had taking center-staged. Plus, dude, has Baltar ever looked better than he does right now?

*Starbucks gleeful bloodlust taking center stage again, rather than her whiny "am I human or am I not?" antics of previous weeks

*Tyrol proving to still be the solid, stand up guy (cylon?) he's been since season one


And looking at the preview for next week's old-school-cylon-centric episode, the only thing I'm hoping is for more badass sixery, cause Six has truly been one of my favorite characters throughout the series, and I can't wait to see all this amazingness explode.

2 comments:

Dorv said...

Today is the day of politely disagreeing with my friends at My TV.

Well, sort of: I'm with you that tonight's episode of BSG was... Well, I can't think of an analogy to describe perfection just the perfect way.

But I've got to say that we're just not on the same page that the first two episodes were boring. Granted, they didn't have the pace that the most recent showing did, I really enjoyed the first showings.

The first episode was dark... Very dark... But true to form. It harkened back to what many of the people involved with the show think was their best episode, 33, in showing what people do when their hope is taken away (Plus, Dee died, and I, politely, don't miss her). (And, you've got to tell me... Who would have been a good enough final Cylon? It was overhyped and no one would be good enough for everyone). Seeing the five on the planet 2000 years ago kinda blew my mind as far as what my expectations on what was going on in this universe.

Roslin was great, but I think the best thing about this show was, is, and always will be Kara Thrace (And Cally, but I probably just shouldn't talk about that :) ). And, as you pointed out, home girl was on FIRE last night. Her scene with Lee about being alive, and the passion with which she carried herself all night reminds me of a Starbuck we haven't seen, frankly, since Kat died.

Tyrol was very good tonight, too. He's become again the rock that he was before, which, as much as I've been a fan of his from day one, this may have been my favorite part of tonight's outstanding episode.

Anonymous said...

Now that I've finally caught up I can finally discuss BSG! And sadly I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with you (about half and half).

Rosalin is by far the best actress on the show and the only reason I was able to get through a lot of fraking boring episodes.

The reveal about the final cylon was probably the most disappointing thing about the show. I heard that in an interview the creators said they never wanted the 5th cylon to be the biggest reveal...but I don't fraking agree with that shit. If you didn't want it to be a big reveal then they should have never led up to it the way they did. Every episode in season 1 began with an introduction that said "one will be revealed"...HOW IS THAT NOT MAKING IT A BIG DEAL!!! grrr. I hate Ellen. Her character bothers me. She was right up there with my least favorite characters on the show, so I almost stopped watching at that point.

Almost...but not quite. Because I have loved every episode of season 4.5 thus far. With suicides, cylon reveals (no matter how lame they are), and nonstop action...this has been the greatest half season so far. And I cannot believe you are judging Kara for whining. I would whine too if I discovered I was dead and my presence was unexplainable. What I love about Kara is that she is the most badass character ever but she's still human and can be emotional and cry about her existence...it's touching.

Also, I don't know who this crazyother commenter is but CALLY?!?! Seriously, the worst written, most poorly acted, most annoying creation...Cally!?! I just vomited in my mouth...a lot.

But anyways, I still think the most recent episode was definitely the best. And I hate Gaeta...but I love Gaeta...so they are doing a good job with the whole mutiny thing.


This is the most thinking I've done in a week...time to pass out.