Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Congratulations Dancing Winners!

In the last few weeks in the overly crowded world of television dance competitions, two very deserving winners won two very different competitions.

On So You Think You Can Dance Canada, early favourite Tara Jean took home the win, marking the first time that the best dancer has actually won a SYTYCD season (I love Nico but Vincent was the better technical contemporary male, Kayla could outdance Jeanine by a small but notable margin, Katee deserved the season 4 US win, Danny should have had season 3 wrapped up, Travis should have had season 2 and there's a reason Blake McGrath is entirely more relevant than season 1's winner Nick). In fact, the top 2, which included runner-up Vincent (the token adorable Frenchman of the season), was exactly right. Two of the most entertaining and engaging dancers as well as the top performers in their (contemporary and ballroom respectively) and every other style, Tara Jean and Vincent's success shows that audiences are finally getting it right. And because of that, this pair of twenty-year olds will finally get their big break.

On the other end of the spectrum, the last thing Dancing With The Stars' winner needs is a big break. In fact, he could not be more of a showbiz legend. I know I predicted before the season started that Mya would win that heinous mirror ball trophy but I couldn't be happier to be wrong (though you've got to give me props for calling her top 2 finish before the show even aired). I've loved Donny Osmond since I was 6 years old and I saw him play the title role in Joseph and the Amazing Technicoloured Dreamcoat. Mock me if you must but that man has the prettiest voice there ever was; he is, after all, the voice of Mulan's prince. Kelly Osbourne may have improved the most and won a surprising number of hearts but Donny won me over every week with his hard work, dedication, sense of humour and humility. He was also endlessly goofy, incredibly charming and could actually dance. His partner Kym Johnson also proved charming and fun throughout the season. Call me dorky or crazy or old lady-ish but my favourite won Dancing with the Stars and I love him all the more for loving his mirror ball trophy.

No comments: